Why does carrot darken after peeling and how to solve this problem?
Carrots are a frequent ingredient in many dishes: salads, soups, side dishes, casseroles, winter preparations. After cleaning, it usually has a rich orange color and an appetizing look. But some cooks notice that sometimes peeled or grated carrots get dark and also lose their taste: why this happens is explained in the article.
Why does the peeled carrot turn black?
Darkening of a vegetable can occur for several reasons:
- Oxidation of the minerals that make up the root crops occurs.
- Clean with a blunt knife and peel off too thick a layer of skin.
- The use of a large number of fertilizers during cultivation.
- Selection of a variety unsuitable for long-term storage.
- Wrong storage conditions.
During cooking, the root crop may darken if it is cooked in the same container with other vegetables, for example, potatoes, beets. The loss of taste of the peeled fruit occurs due to the loss of moisture, wilting and drying.
What to do and how to solve this problem?
If the reason for the darkening was improper storage, then such root crops are no longer suitable for food - they should be disposed of. They do not contain substances necessary for the human body and are useless.
And if the carrots were stored for too long, then it can be a danger to human health.It is worth throwing out poor-quality fruits that could be grown using fertilizers and chemical treatments.
- In order for the carrots not to darken, it is necessary to carry out the following preventive measures:
- Acquire only high-quality fruits from trusted distributors.
- When buying root crops, choose not too large ones - they accumulate a large amount of nitrates. The optimal weight of a vegetable is 150 g. It is in such a fruit that there is a sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals and a small amount of harmful substances.
- Clean with a sharp knife and peel off a thin layer of the skin.
- Cook separately from other vegetables.
- Do not digest.
- If possible, use fresh, not cooked vegetables in dishes.
- To preserve vitamins, the root crop should already be lowered into boiling water and cook or simmer with the lid closed.
- Store vegetable as recommended.
- If the fruits were peeled, but not immediately used, they can be grated, placed in a vacuum bag or a plastic container and frozen.
Recommendations for the proper storage of carrots
Uncleaned carrots should be stored in the cellar or refrigerator. In the cellar it is placed in wooden or plastic boxes or plastic bags. In the refrigerator, the vegetable is stored in a tray specially designed for vegetables. It should be wrapped with cling film, paper.
Shelf life in cold conditions is 2 months, after washing - 1-2 weeks. Storage at home is also possible. The time for which such a product should be consumed is 1 month.You can extend the period of eating fruits by claying them or pouring them with sawdust.
Did you know? The largest carrot in the world grew on a site owned by American farmer Christopher Qually: it weighed 10.18 kg. The giant vegetable was recorded by representatives of the Guinness Book of Records.
The peeled root crops, which are planned to be used for 2-3 hours, can be stored indoors, in dishes without water, covered with a damp cloth. So it will be possible to save the maximum amount of valuable elements and moisture in them.
In the refrigerator, carrots must be stored separately from vegetables and fruits such as apples, cabbage, tomatoes. Shared storage contributes to their early deterioration.
Chopped or grated vegetables can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days. It should be wrapped in a damp cloth and placed in a plastic bag. After the blanching and freezing procedure, the fruits are suitable for use throughout the year.
So, carrots after peeling or heat treatment can lose their beautiful and mouth-watering color. To avoid this, you must follow the rules of her choice when buying, cleaning and cooking.